Friday, January 19, 2018

Friday Smiles 255


By now, many of you know I have a ton of photos from the History Museum I visited for Smithsonian Day.  If you want to see a link to this wonderful museum, here it is now.  It's now time to share a few of these photos each Friday, along with some funny stories, quotes, verse, or jokes I found when I was cleaning my office.  By now you know I'm here for Annie's Friday Smiles.

I'll begin with the funnies.

To keep your wife happy, first let her think she is having her way, then let her have it.

A psychiatrist is a doctor who asks a lot of expensive questions your wife asks you for nothing.
       ~Joey Adams

A woman will doubt everything you say except compliments to herself.

When you see a man opening a car door for his wife, you know one of two things: either the car is new or his wife is.

Little boy to mother: "Why does grandfather read the Bible all the time?  Is he preparing for his finals?"

Then there was the time a judge was asked to contribute $10.00 to a lawyer's funeral.  "Here's $100.00," he said.  "Bury 10 of them."

These are photos I took the first time I visited the History Museum.








It has really changed since I was here last.  I hope you enjoy the new much better photos taken with my much better camera.

This is how you are greeted when you step off the elevator on the third floor.



This shows how Wichita went from a cow town (stock yards have finally been sold to other types of investors) to the small aircraft capital of the world. 

I live a mere eight blocks from the Little Arkansas, and about the same distance from the Big Arkansas.  That could be why my neighborhood is so safe.  It's hard to get in unless you know where you're going.


Please enjoy these photos and peruse them at your own pace.































Here you see Wichita and the Little Arkansas River as it appeared in 1873.  My house would be in the lower right of the painting if it was built today.  I believe the bridge you see is the one that has now been replaced by the "new" bridge I took a photo of yesterday.



I was really impressed with this stagecoach even though everything was behind glass.





When the railroad came in, the stagecoach became obsolete.










This seems like a good time to stop.  We have now made it through one side of this newly completed room.  More of this same room that takes up half the third floor next time.

Thanks for joining me today in this History Museum.  And please visit Annie and her lovely smiles today.  Feel free to join in with your smile, too.  A smile to start the weekend is always a good thing.


16 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful photos from the museum. I love seeing the things people used or wore, it makes the past real and tangible. I am looking forward to visiting museums again when I feel better. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

kathyinozarks said...

Oh wow I totally loved that third floor-we are in to the mountain man era and hubs has one of the wooden canteens the stopper for his is made out of antler bone. thanks for sharing I really enjoyed this museum

froebelsternchen said...

You got me in fits with your Friday Smiles Elizabeth and I really adore seeing this fantastic old things of that old times.
Exotic for me - like an old western film would come into real life ! I wonder if this W. Greiffinstein maybe has something to do with our Burg Greifenstein which is a castle in Lower Austria, overlooking the Danube, where I spent many of my summer holidays of my childhood.
Happy start of the weekend my friend, we got a lot of snow this night and it still snows. Winter is back and it looks pretty nice.

oxo Susi

Annie said...

Hi Elizabeth. I enjoyed your funnies and have browsed quickly through your photos....I may have to come back for a better look 😀 I particularly love the clothing shown.
Thanks for sharing it all.
Hugs,
Annie x

Let's Art Journal said...

The Friday Smiles were such fun ...lol 😉. Wow, there is so much to see at the museum and the beading on the clothing and belt looks so intricate - amazing! Wishing you a happy Friday and weekend! J 😊

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Elizabeth, I will pop back later for a better look at these great photographs. You were right this is our annual trip to the Three Valleys in the Alps. We have been coming to this same hotel since about 1990 which looks like a long time but doesn't feel it. We've been to lots of other places but never tire of this area as it so big. Thanks for all the funnies too. Off to ski and back later. Big hugs, Angela xXx

My name is Erika. said...

Wow- that museum is really complete. I can see why it gets a Smithsonian connection because it has some amazing exhibits. I enjoyed the bison and the historical western plains views you showed today. And do they still have those vintage clothing? It is cool to see where we came from and how we got to where we are. It is interesting even though I am not a local. Glad you shared. And happy FRiday! Almost the weekend. Hugs-Erika

Meggymay said...

Each set of photos from the museum visit have me sat in front of the post for ages, taking in all the details. The costumes today looked amazing. So much stitched hand work. It is good that these survived time for us to see now.
Super fun smiles today as well, my favourite had to be the one about the Judge.
Yvonne xx

Gibby Frogett said...

Great post Elizabeth - the Friday smiles were funny and your photos fab - loved the guitars, the stagecoach, clothing and everything... I know I would have enjoyed walking around seeing those things.. a Magic City indeed - thanks for sharing.
Happy Friday and wishing you a great weekend..
Gill xx

CJ Kennedy said...

Loved the tour of the museum. Thought the Wichita Magic City sign was clever. From cattle to aviation. The desk with all the cubbies would make a great, craft storage desk. I'm always amazed at how cities outside of New England are laid out in neat grids. Planners here just let the cows roam where they wanted and followed behind making winding, twisting roads. :-D Especially loved the cowboy things. Thanks for sharing.

mamapez5 said...

Another lovely and interesting tour of the museum. I like the part about the buffalo, and the way they used their hides.
You funnies made me smile and we all need a smile on a dull Friday morning don't we? Kate x

Divers and Sundry said...

That history museum is a real treasure -such a huge collection! And such a variety!

Anne said...

What an amazing place, I am going back to look at your photos in more depth and look up a few things. Your 'funnies' were funny lol and made me chuckle. Anne x

pearshapedcrafting said...

I think I need to revisit this post - I am feeling tired dear Elizabeth and there is so much to take in! What difference a change around made (and of course the new camera!) I now see the significance of your town's emblem! (why had I not realised that Kanas was part of the plains?????…) Hugs, Chrisx ps still have to get my e-mail off!!

Lowcarb team member said...

Many thanks for the funnies ...

What a wonderful collection of photographs from the museum, it was interesting seeing them all, thank you.

All the best Jan

Jeanie said...

Your new camera rocks, especially with the detail on the photos and written documents. I love it when you share your funnies and the museum pix. I hope you don't run out for a long time!