Saturday, August 19, 2017

Angels


Today I've created a tag for Tag TuesdayPlease be aware that none of the links open in a new window anymore.

Valerie asked us to use our scraps to create a tag, and these images came out of the waterlogged playing cards and Christmas envelopes I'd saved and dried out.  Even the background was recycled.  Only the thread was new.

It's easy to see I'm having a bit  of tension problem, although the back or bobbin side was sewing well. 

So I decided to sew the two postage stamps in place from the back (where the bobbin side of the sewing showed),

while the playing card was sewn from the front of the tag.  This is actually the back side of the playing card, so I have several of these angel images.

In my haste to make it right, I didn't realize I was sewing the Madonna and child upside down.  I assure you, though, these all came from my now less moldy basement and are truly scraps.

But of course, I couldn't stop there.  After all, it's been awhile since I've actually made any art.

I really want to join Jo from Let's Art Journal who is hosting Art Journal Journey, but I'm truly having trouble coming up with anything for her theme.  I understand the "Poetry" part, although I seem to be better with song lyrics that rhyme than I do poems.   It's the "Motion" part that is giving me fits.  Motion implies movement in some way, so, after some serious thinking, today I've created this entry that revolves around Angels. 

After all, angels have wings, and wings imply movement.

I used a page of vintage sheet music that I found in the basement for my background.  I dried it and added some of my handmade shimmering mists, using the colors that echoed the tag I created.

I cut and tore one of the playing card backs and added an angel to each of the lines to the song.

Some of the mists showed up better than others.

Other materials include a Sharpie and computer generated text.

In case you can't read the lyrics to the Christmas song,
Angels we have heard on high
Sweetly singing o're the plains
And the mountains in reply
Echoing their joyous strains
Gloria in excelsis Deo
Gloria in excelsis Deo
Thanks for joining me today at




Tag Tuesday

(Valerie's theme is scraps)
and


Art Journal Journey

(Jo's theme is Poetry in Motion)



I appreciate your visits and I hope to visit everyone soon who has recently left me a comment.  I just can't sit for long because I keep coughing and am still having trouble breathing.

20 thoughtful remarks:

My name is Erika. said...

Beautiful angel tag and use of it on your page. If it was July I could say Christmas in July. :) But I think maybe it is more about guardian angels as you have so many beautiful ones. Hope your guardian angels are watching over you today. Hugs-Erika

RO said...

OMG - This is so lovely, and I can tell you put in so much work to create this. I always enjoy looking at pictures of angels because it's so peaceful and soothing. Happy Sunday! Hugs...RO

Valerie-Jael said...

What an angelic post, great theme for your tag and journal page. I have several stone angels here, and love them. Sorry you still have such a bad cough. The tension on my machine sometimes plays up if I have threads of different thicknesses top and bottom. But I think it looks good as a stitch for stamps!. Thanks so much for joining us at Tag Tuesday with your angelic scrappy tag! Look after yourself, hugs, Valerie

chrissie said...

A beautiful post full of wonders and lots of work Elizabeth.

Thank you for making the unique tag for Tag Tuesday and for shsring your journal spread with everyone as well

Did you get my email?

Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

OMG - this is simply amazing - the tag is utterly beautiful and fits the spread so well!
I am thrilled about this spread.
Thank you so much for joining AJJ even though you have problems with the term "poetry in motion".

The folk at AJJ shares poetry and so they make MOTION...lol?!!!
Makes this sense???

Your angel page is just more than perfect I guess.
Don't mind about coming up with exactly fitting pages for everything - that's much too complicated- TAKE it EASY!

HAPPY SUNDAY dear Elizabeth!
Beloved greetings to your boys!
oxo Susi

Let's Art Journal said...

What a wonderful page, I love how you have quoted a song and bought the song to life on your page which is a great example of what “Poetry in Motion” can mean. The “Motion” is simply bringing the poetry to life in the form of a picture.
You have created such beauty too with those lovely angels. The music sheet depicts the song and the shimmer mists are so pretty giving an ethereal look. I like the way you have positioned the angels and song lyrics too because it looks like they are singing each line which is really clever. Thanks so much for joining Art Journal Journey; this is a perfect page for “Poetry in Motion”. Hope you feel better soon and wishing you a Happy Sunday! J :-)

CJ Kennedy said...

You certainly did an excellent job putting scraps together to make a lovely piece. All the stitching reminds me of the lacing cards I loved playing with as a child.

Wow on your poetry in motion page. Not only the angel wings to imply motion, but all the musical notes going up and down the scale. I'd say you nailed the theme.

Cindy McMath said...

Wow Elizabeth, these are really great pieces! The tag is lovely and I'm impressed that you sewed from the back. That must have taken a lot of measuring and fiddling! The music page is lovely, and I would say that the music / singning / motion equivalency is a good one. Clever!

Meggymay said...

The tag with the stamps sewn on it is fabulous a great way to use bits and pieces.
I love your journal spread it is for sure Poetry in Motion for me when I look at how you created it.
Yvonne xx
p.s. I hope you are feeling better soon.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh My Elizabeth! This really is a fantastic post with a real treat in your tag (which I thought was a deliberate mistake to sew the stamp upside down!) To add It to a journal page was sheer genius, as once again you have created such wonderful colours across the page! Hope you feel better soon! Hugs, Chrisx Just realised I have missed a post so off there nowxx

Anonymous said...

This really is a wonderfulangel page and Tag with words!
Greetings Elke

craftytrog said...

What a beautiful page! I love the angels and stitching!
Alison

Rike said...

Beautiful angel page! I like all these sweet angel pictures, the wonderful background, the singing text and your excellent sewing!
Happy new week!
Rike x

Darla said...

I like both the tag and the journal page. It is great that you saved all those stamps - I'm sure you knew you would need them one day.

Dortesjs said...

gorgeous tag love the journal page to that is stunning

Anonymous said...

You certainly did an excellent job putting scraps together to make a lovely piece. All the stitching reminds me of the lacing cards I loved playing with as a child.

ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

Sandra Cox said...

These are so pretty.

Birgit said...

I love angels and feel you captured them so beautifully in the sky. Love the distress ink used and showcasing the angels with the music notes

Jeanie said...

Hi Elizabeth, I'm so far behind in catching up to blogs but am determined to do it! I love this angel tag/page. Beautiful work and a wonderful theme.

Thanks also for your nice comments on the art camp post a couple of weeks ago. I love art camp!

UplayOnline said...

I always enjoy looking at pictures of angels because it's so peaceful and soothing. Happy Sunday! Hugs...RO


ทางบ้าน